Thursday 2 May 2013

Doha, Qatar - Not Your Average Tourist Destination

I can honestly say, sitting on the Corniche in Doha, Qatar with my back to its impressive skyline as I gaze out over the Persian Gulf, a light breeze rustling my hair, is not somewhere I could have seen myself at any point in the past. As such, my reasons for being here are unimpressive. The journey to my final destination would have had an 11 hour layover at the Doha airport, followed by a 5 hour connecting flight. After already going through a connection and intercontinental flight, the idea of spending the next 16 hours anywhere other than a comfortable hotel room seemed appalling. So, I adjusted my plans to allow for a couple days here, before bravely continuing onward.

Doha Corniche at Night - © 2013 Tim Carlielle
My first day here was spent mostly just walking around. Qatar is a very oil rich country, and the city of Doha is a blatant expression of this wealth. Despite not having any fresh water reserves, (the country gets its water from desalinization - an expensive and inefficient process) there are huge green lawns and gardens in front of any government or Islamic funded buildings, which have to be watered 24/7. The skyline is made up of large skyscrapers with awe-inspiring architecture and intricate detail, however most of them are empty. Shopping malls are pretty much the only recreational facilities in the city, and offer a range of luxury shopping.

Doha Skyline at Light - © 2013 Tim Carlielle
After getting bored of walking around, I decided to visit the Museum of Islamic Art. It is located across the harbour from the city centre, and has a great view of the skyline. It is a very aesthetic building, designed with the symmetry and styling classical to Islam. The museum grounds are also quite impressive, featuring a meandering footpath through green gardens. No admission is required, and the museum boasts a wide range of artifacts. I really enjoyed passing through; the museum has done a fantastic job of creating interesting displays and exhibits.

Museum of Islamic Art - © 2013 Tim Carlielle
Unlike many museums or art galleries, I was surprised to find that all except the featured exhibit didn't prohibit photography of the artifacts. Many people were taking photos with pocket cameras or phones, however when I pulled out my DSLR and spent a couple minutes changing my lens and setting up a shot of the artifact below, the light above the display began flashing, before turning off completely. I noticed a security camera in the corner of the room, and got a strong sense big brother was watching.

Artifact at the Museum of Islamic Art - © 2013 Tim Carlielle 
I decided on my last day to do a tour of the desert, and my hotel helped me organize a half day desert safari with a local tour company. It was pretty expensive, as I had no one to share the costs with, but it was the only way I could get to see the desert, as it's almost impossible to rent a car anywhere when you're under 25. I was picked up from my hotel in a SUV, then taken to Sealine Beach Resort, where we entered the desert and drove over the sand dunes to an inland sea on the border with Saudi Arabia.

Dune Bashing! - © 2013 Tim Carlielle
It's only been a couple days, but I've had a chance to recover from the first leg of my journey, and am ready to continue on to my final destination. I can't say I particularly like it here, but it really has been something to see. Up next - Nepal!

You can also see more about my trip by following my Vlogs:


2 comments:

  1. Your posting provide an exclusive information, I appreciate this post. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete